Today’s guest post is written by a friend, fellow blogger and Certified Holistic Health Coach, Chelsey Benzel! Although I live a relatively clean and healthy lifestyle, yes, there are (rare) times in my life when I let my hair down, get a baby-sitter, have a dance party, and wake up in the morning and say, “Never again!” But, like my momma always says, “everything in moderation, including moderation.” Thanks to Chelsey’s Blueberry-Banana “Hangover Cure” Smoothie, I no longer have to waste the entire “next day” sloth-ing around…
We’ve all been there.
You wake up, your mouth is dry and your head is pounding.
Something inside you is screaming for a big greasy breakfast (or lunch – what time is it anyways?) I’m not gonna lie, there’s a time and a place for that. But, there are also days where you need to wake up and get on with your life, and you don’t have all day to spend lounging around in your sweatpants, eating pizza.
That’s where this godsend comes in.
Blueberry Banana Hangover Cure Smoothie
- 1 frozen banana*
- ½ cup frozen blueberries*
- 2 tbsp hemp hearts
- 1 cup coconut water
- handful of spinach (optional, for when you’re feeling extra ambitious)
—> Blend ingredients together on high for about 30 seconds, and enjoy!
Frozen banana and blueberries will give this smoothie a perfectly thick and icy cold texture, but they’re not completely necessary. If you’re using fresh ingredients, you can throw a couple ice cubes into the mix to cool things down, but your smoothie may still be on the liquid side. Either way it’s delicious, and will help you ease your pain.
Here’s the low down on just why this smoothie is going to get your day started right:
- Contain potassium and other important minerals that are often depleted when you drink
- Potassium rich foods like bananas, avocados & leafy greens (like spinach!) will help ease your hangover symptoms.
- Make sure your bananas are ripe when you eat them. Ideally they should have brown spots on them and peel easily with no sound. Green bananas with a tough peel are generally much harder to digest.
- Very high in antioxidants. Your body could use all the antioxidants it can get after a night of heavy drinking
- A.k.a., Shelled Hemp Seeds, these little gems pack a whole lot of protein, essential vitamins & minerals and healing omega 3’s
- Contains much needed electrolytes to balance out your system
- Naturally pure and incredibly hydrating
Other helpful hangover cures include vitamin B12, which can be found in animal products like eggs and meat, as well as a high quality vitamin supplement.
Hydration is always key, before, during, and after a night of drinking. I’m sure I don’t need to remind you about the whole ‘drinking water between each bevvy’ thing, but it works wonders if you can swing it.
It can be helpful to add a pinch of good quality salt (sea salt or Himalayan rock salt) to your water to replenish your electrolytes, but the coconut water in this smoothie recipe will do the trick nicely.
Whatever your day has in store, I hope it’s a good one (or at least better than it could’ve been had you not discovered this recipe!)
About Chelsey Benzel
Chelsey Benzel is a Board Certified Holistic Health Coach who mentors women around the world as they connect with their purpose and create and live a life they love. As the creator of Chelsey B Wellness, she runs online nutrition programs, coaches women one-on-one, and shares weekly wellness tips and recipes on her blog.