Hi, I’m Carly, and welcome to my blog! I’m healing my family with real food and green, sustainable living, and this is our journey to health and wellness!
When I decided to start this blog, I promised myself that I would just be me, and that’s all. In order to do so, I need to start by acknowledging why I am who I am, and why I have the views on health and the environment that I do–and that is because of my mom. I love you, momma, thank you for teaching me the most important things in life: respecting the environment, “you are what you eat”, and “everything in moderation… including moderation” My dad is also amazing, and had a huge role to play in my up-bringing, but considering he was the guy sneaking my brother and I Fruit-Loops and Root Beer, he isn’t as big of a motivating factor for this health-blog.
Modern Hippie Housewife: a name inspired by my husband who’s been calling me a hippie since the day I started making my own deodorant. I added the modern because I don’t feel or look like a stereotypical hippie… I don’t think…do I? That’s me! (kind of hard to tell from a picture I guess.) Housewife: that I am. And proud of it! A term with a sort of… negative connotation stuck to it…the Real Housewife TV-series didn’t help (no, I’m not gold-diggin’, wine-o—although, I do enjoy a nice glass of organic shiraz.)
What I am: I’m a mama, food-fanatic and animal lover. I love the outdoors, exercising, a good belly-laugh, wine, cheese, and above all, my family! I have a passion for learning new things, and experiencing life to the fullest, which is why I’ve challenged my family to embark on a lifestyle transformation that involves toxin-free /eco-friendly living, and a real-food diet (avoiding packages, preservatives and factory farms)–back to the basics we go! I want to show others how easy, beneficial and incredibly rewarding it is to live an organic, green, sustainable lifestyle–on a budget, as we do!
What I am not: I am not a scientist, doctor or nutritionist, but powered by my insatiable desire for learning, growth and the environment, I’ve created this blog, and I’m using it to share my journey with others who are interested in making a change too. If I’m doing all the research anyways, I thought I might as well share.
Becoming a mom was the motivation I needed to change our eating and consumption habits. Becoming a stay-at-home mom gave me that extra push to step-up my game, because not only does living a cleaner, greener, and simpler lifestyle make you feel awesome, it also does wonders for the bank account!
Since changing my lifestyle, some pretty cool things happened…
I feel better. I’ve always been “health” conscious (translation: I knew what foods to avoid eating to keep me from gaining weight), but since I’ve stopped obsessing about my weight, and started making food choices based on nutrition and health, I’ve never been happier, healthier and more fulfilled (and I haven’t gained a pound.)
We save money. It’s not only healthier to make your own food and products from scratch, it’s super easy, incredibly rewarding, and less expensive than the alternative (I bet you have all the ingredients in your house right now to remove even the WORST soap scum off of your bathroom tiles, and is a fraction of the cost compared to a chemical-cleaner!!!)
Changing your lifestyle, and the way you think about food, health and the environment doesn’t happen overnight–it’s a slow transformation and takes time to essentially un-brainwash ourselves from what the food industry and health professionals have been telling us for years. I was certainly not prepared to throw my beloved ketchup, deodorant and Windex in the trash until I found a suitable replacement (PS I’ve found MORE than suitable replacements for all of the above and I’m so excited to share!!!)
Over time, my goal is to share: basic steps to leading a cleaner, greener life (on a budget), changing the way you think about food, real-food recipes, how to replace beauty and cleaning products with homemade ones, tips on how to save money in a one-income household, and use Canadian resources.
If you can take away ONE thing from this blog that improves your day-to-day life, then it makes it all worth-while for me.
All feedback, tips and ideas are welcome and encouraged. We can grow together!
Carly – Modern Hippie Housewife
Fun Facts About Me
– I have two Mini-Weiner dogs, Charlie and Ladybug
– I live in a small town outside near Vancouver, B.C., Canada!
– My one-year old daughter, Scarlett, is the cutest little comedian I know.
– I went to University of Victoria, and graduated with a BA in Economics
– I worked as a Financial Advisor, pre-Scarlett days.
– I seriously dislike caving…or anything to do within confined spaces or being underground. Last October I had to be escorted out of the Hoover Dam because I was having a panic attack–true story, and highly embarrassing. The only reason I’m smiling in the picture to the right is because I could finally see daylight (I didn’t realize my fear until I was deep into exploration.)
– I have the most supportive husband in the world, who encourages me to follow my heart.
– I met my husband, got married and had a baby (not in that order), all within 2 years, because I’m a hopeless romantic and always think with my heart.
– I’m always in for a good dance-party/costume party, and love getting extra silly (a gene inherited from my crazy mother.)
– Aside from good food, taveling is a passion of mine, and I’d love to see much more the world (and the food they have to offer!)